The perfect feast for all your cheesy desires.
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce can) crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce can) tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz can) tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (divided)
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound deli sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large potover medium heat, add in ground sausage and ground beef. Use a spoon to break up the meat into small pieces. Add in onion and garlic and cook until meat is well browned, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar, fresh basil, fennel, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and ¼ cup chopped parsley. Pour in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place lasagna noodles into the bottom of a pan. Pour hot tap water directly over the noodles, making sure the pasta is completely immersed in the water. Let them soak for 30 minutes, then drain and discard water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining 2 tablespoons parsley, ½ teaspoon salt, and nutmeg. Refrigerate until ready to assemble lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a deep 9×13 pan.
- To assemble, spread about 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Place 4 noodles on top. Spread with ⅓ of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with ¼ of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella, then sprinkle with ¼ cup parmesan cheese. Repeat layering two more times to create three complete layers. To finish, place a final layer of pasta, topped with another 1 cup of meat sauce to cover the pasta. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes to allow cheese to brown. Serve hot.