- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground red Chili pepper
- 2 pounds medium shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan over nearly high heat. Add the onions; cook and stir until browned. Mix in the curry leaves, then season with the ginger garlic paste, coriander and salt. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and turmeric, then mix in the tomato, chile powder, shrimp and water. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until shrimp are opaque. Taste and adjust salt and chile powder if necessary. Season with garam masala, stir and remove from the heat. Serve with flat bread or rice.