Laila Ali Khan: Model.
We love talented and fresh faces in our industry. They act like a breath of fresh air. One of these faces, although not so new, but undoubtedly a fresh and extremely beautiful one, Laila Ali Khan has been on our favourite list from the beginning. Talking to her was as pleasurable to Social Diary’s correspondent Nudrat Mustafa, as it will be for you to read.
- Tell us about your background and family.
Even though Lahore has become what I would like to call my second home now, Islamabad is where I belong from. I’ve studied BSC Socio but unfortunately I had to put that on pause as juggling between setting up a career in one city and showing up for classes in another became difficult managing. We’re a family of 5, I’m the youngest of the 3 sisters and two very loving brother in laws. My father is a handsome ex military officer and my mother now a very proud grandmother of two(almost) grandchildren.
- When did you decide to enter the entertainment field? Being a model was always in your mind?
Nothing of the sort was ever decided, I never saw myself pursuing modelling as a legitimate career option, it’s really magical how things sometimes turn out and I’m so glad and grateful moreover the way they did.
- If you are asked to choose either modelling or acting, what would you select and why?
That’s easy, modelling, any given day. I have yet to try acting, let me let you in on a little secret; I’m very camera shy, I guess it’s because I haven’t really properly performed as such as opposed to fashion shoots which also btw took me sometime getting right so probably the lack of experience is what has got me feeling hesitant about acting. Also somehow being a fashion model and sticking to that has far greater appeal than television has for me.
- Do you have any plans of working for cinema?
None so far.
- You have an amazing portfolio and we know that you love all the work that you do. However, share with us the designer/campaign you most enjoyed working in. Why?
I enjoy every shoot that I do and I have had the great fortune of working with most of my favourite designers but a shoot where I get to truly express myself and just have more freedom of being is the one that has me smiling ear to ear.
- How do you feel about the controversy of the size 0 debate in the industry?
Fashion industry is known for being cut throat and its unrealistic beauty standards but what looks good, looks good right. It’s a multibillion dollar industry and one that is only growing in surplus thriving on keeping it all glamorous and skinny. I do however strongly believe that a woman should be a healthy individual be it a plus size model or a size 0 and/or everything that comes in between.
- Professionally, the one thing you would never compromise on?
I feel like being a model you’re already treading on thin ice considering girls are being shot in the head and what not for wanting to seek something as simple as education. This patriarchal living system behoves us to voice any disrespectful and undignified manner of being spoken to or behaved towards and something as a woman i don’t ever want to compromise on.
- What is your secret of remaining in shape?
Sleep water exercise
- Stupidest question you have been asked ever.
Usually I’m the one with a list of stupid questions
- What is the most absurd thing you have read about yourself on the internet?
Read none, heard tons.
- What do you notice the most in the other person?
The way they treat their friends
- What’s the one word or phrase you use the most?
I feel like this information should remain in my head.
- If there is something missing in your life, it is…..
- Biggest goal for 2018…
Be stronger better bigger
- What is the craziest thing you have ever done?
When the heart starts to overrule the brain we do lots of crazy things.
- Your biggest turn off?
- Three strange things about you?
I have a rather strange indisposition to smells. Daydreaming consists mostly of random dance moves.
- Tell us 2 advices that you would like to give to the aspiring models/actors.
Believe in yourself, always be humble and work hard because it all pays off much faster than you’ll know.