If you have a desk job, it is pretty easy to spend most of your day on your bum. Even after you punch the clock, chances are there will be more time sitting between your commute and the nightly intake of your favorite shows. You know you should at least walk a bit more during the day.
If you are like most people, it is difficult to get motivated. Remember, sitting all day is dangerous for your overall health—not just your waistline! You don’t have to do it all at once; sprinkling some activity throughout the day is just fine. Let’s figure out a few ways to take a much needed break at work:
- Take an exercise break.You don’t need a gym or running shoes to put a little exercise in your day. Try chair exercises and other small exercises you can do comfortably at your desk. Spend 10 – 15 minutes on your lunch break doing doing these activities to help break the routine of sitting and limit the unhealthy effects of sitting so long. There are many sites online that offer ideas for exercising in your chair.
- Add light cardio to your day.Take a few minutes daily to increase your heart rate and raise your breathing to a faster pace. Quick cardio moves can help burn calories through your day. In addition, these little sessions can help bring you out of an afternoon slump!
- Use loading time to keep fit If you want to, exercise while waiting for things on the computer to load.Do a couple of squats, bicep curls or stretches.
- Choose healthy restaurant options in lunch time.Whether it’s a company meeting or someone’s birthday, you’ll probably eat out a few times for lunch. Try to stick to healthier options when you’re eating out. Remember, restaurant food is generally higher in calories.
- Count your steps.Pedometers and fitness bands are a popular ways to monitor how much you step and move throughout the day. Aiming for at least 10,000 steps or about five miles a day may help you lose or maintain your weight and help keep you in shape.