The classic cat eye, though a popular makeup style that’s been around for decades, can be a huge pain to master. It seems so effortless—just finish off your eyeliner with a neat little wing for instantly bigger, brighter eyes. Easy, right? Not for those of us whose failed attempts at a flawless feline flick end with makeup remover and a lot of frustration.
Fortunately, there are products out there that make winged eyeliner much easier to get right. For the tutorial below, we ditched our tricky liquid liner in favor of Inglot Cosmetics Eyeliner Gel, a richly pigmented gel liner that dries to a long-lasting matte finish. The creamy texture makes it easy to paint on a perfect cat eye in just a few minutes. Plus, it’s smudge-proof, crease-proof, and waterproof.
To get you started on your way to becoming a winged eyeliner pro, here’s a tutorial on how to use gel eyeliner to draw a classic cat eye.
Method 1: How To Create Winged Eyeliner With Angled Eyeliner Brush?
- Dip the angle brush in your eyeliner pot and place it on the outer edge of your eye creating an angle with your temples
- Place the same brush over the line you just drew in an inverted fashion to create the upper curve of your wing
- Fill in the blank space between the lines with your eyeliner brush and extend the liner to the inner corner as you normally do.
Method 2: Free Hand Guide
- Take a pencil eyeliner and draw an extended line on the outer edge of your eyes making an angle with your eyebrows. Adjust the length according to your desired length of the wing
- Now, place the pencil where this line ends and draw a line that flicks inward with a slight curve and extend the line to the inner corner of your eye. If you find it difficult to extend the same line in on one go, extend it at least halfway into your upper lash line and then continue till the inner corner. Try to make sure that the line thins gradually, especially if you have smaller eyes
- Now, fill up the gap until no skin peeps through from between the upper and the bottom line that forms your wing.
- f you are ok with a softer finish, leave it as it is. if you want your wings to be more striking and bold, take a liquid eyeliner and carefully trace along the lines you have created with your pencil eyeliner. If you are planning to include this step, you can allow your lines to be a little rough on the edge while using the pencil eyeliner. The liquid eyeliner will cover up the rough edges to give a perfectly smooth finish.
Method 3: How To Do Winged Eyeliner With Tape?
- Cut a tape measuring about 2 cm and stick along the outer edge of your eyes in an angle you would want your wings to be.
- Trace along the angled edge with your eyeliner to draw the wing using the outlines of the tape as guidance.
- Finish off by extending the line along your upper lash line.
Method 4: How To Create Perfect Winged Eyeliner With Spoon?
- Hold the handle of the spoon at the outer corner of your eye.
- Draw a straight line with your eyeliner following the line of the handle.
- Now, place the rounded portion of the spoon and cup your eyelids.
- Use the rounded edge to create the curvy tip of your wing.
- Fill in the space between two lines with eyeliner and extend the liner onto your upper lash line like you normally do.
Method 5: How To Create A Perfect Winged Eyeliner With Business Card?
- Take a business card and draw a line roughly to match the size of your eyes and the way you want your wings to be
- Take a scissor and cut out the pattern you have drawn
- Use the cut out as a stencil for your wings
If you’re a beginner, you can also map out your cat eye with small dots before tracing over them with eyeliner.