Massarat Misbah, the reknown beauty expert does not need any introduction. Embracing her mark as one of the first beauty experts of the country she is the proud founder of the Depilex chain of saloons worldwide. She wanted to do something about the women of the society who suffer from these acid attacks and hence started helping them.
Being a fan of a lady like her and being eager to know how she started all of this and what struggles she faced we sat down with her for an up close session:
- Please tell us about your background, family and education.
MM: I was born and brought up in Karachi. We are a big family of 6 sisters and 2 brothers. Our core business is in pharmaceuticals with a huge chunk of family members in the medical profession. My parents now enjoy quality time with 18 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. My education was from Cantt Public school and St Josephs in Karachi from where I graduated
- Tell us about your responsibilities as the business owner?
MM: Depilex is the largest chain of salons in the county and we employ over 1500 women nationwide so the responsibility is immense; on the technical side or creative side. Any business would flourish if you are at par with the global changes relating to your field and there is need for constant research and expansion over the time. It is a company’s responsibility to educate its staff continuously with what is happening globally and to inspire them along the process.
- You run your own brand; generally, what do you think are the main challenges when a woman wants to set up and run a company?
MM: The initial stages of any business, there are problems one has to go through which you face with confidence and intelligence. You should be educated and qualified and must know the laws of the land.
- What has been the most effective way of raising awareness of your business and getting new customers?
MM: Through hard work, honesty and faith. It is a service industry therefore a positive and polite communication is the key to success. Active presence in electronic, print and social media is a must for continuous brand retention.
- Being a boss, what do you think makes a great employee stand out?
MM: In my working environment, we have an open door policy for any employee and we encourage our employees to discuss and suggest new ideas. My doors are always open for counseling also and I welcome them with a positive attitude.
- What is your vision for women in Pakistan when it comes to becoming their own bosses, or higher level administrators?
MM: They can only achieve their targets and goals by good education and being responsible individuals with the knowledge of their rights. One has to learn not to stretch them to a point where they break.
- To what do you attribute your success?
MM: My continuous family support and maintaining positive attitude throughout 38 years of my career is what I attribute my success to.
- If you had one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?
MM: My advice to all people starting out is to learn their trait. One has to be positive and humble. You have to stay positive and need to be kind in every situation.
- What best motivates you? How have your entrepreneurial motivations changed since you first started?
MM: My children were my motivation because I wanted to provide for them and make them a capable human being. At every step in my career, I have set my goals and tried to my maximum to achieve them with persistence and not losing hope.
- What is your typical workday like?
MM: I am an early riser and start my day with prayers. My office day majorly consists of Meetings, interviews and discussions with my team about different projects and most importantly visiting and counseling burnt victims
- How do you deal with the stress?
MM: I always stay calm and keep my trust in Allah and I love to read.
- Recommend any three makeup products that are not only wonderful but pocket-friendly too!
MM: MM silk foundation, Perfect wear eyeliner and MM lip varnish in Afghan Rose is a must for me. The reason is that MM products are halal certified products with long lasting coverage and are easy on the pocket too
- Any beauty errors women are still making?
MM: Even though people are more aware about the makeup through social media. However a basic knowledge about makeup application best suited for your skin such as skin tone, matching foundation colors and type of skin is still lacking.
- Give three beauty tips to mid-winter brides to be?
MM: Keep your skin hydrated; follow a balanced and nutritional diet that is required for your body and book a consultation with the beauty expert who will guide you about your beauty concerns
- Any known personalities you would like to teach a thing about makeup?
M:M I am glad that known personalities are very well aware of their grooming
- Your favourite beauty quote that you swear by?
MM: A girl always looks prettier when she smiles, but she looks even prettier wearing the makeup; (personal quote)
- Any skin care regime you’d like to share with our readers?
MM: As I mentioned earlier we need to keep our skin hydrated and drink a lot of water. Healthy eating routine and most importantly taking at least 8 hours of sleep along with exercise.