She’s one such addition to the Pakistani industry which we are glad to finally have board! She’s smart and she knows how to present herself to the public eye. From pulling off office formals to flaunting herself in an embellished ensemble .. she do it all! This is the Social Diary’s take on the life of Yashma Gill.
- Who is Yashma Gill? How do you define yourself and tell us a bit about your background (education, family, lifestyle etc.)
Yashma Gill is a go getter. Quite a statement right? But that’s really how I perceive myself. As an independent, strong and a bold woman who won’t catch her breath unless she gets what she wants, but never at the cost of her conscience. An extremist by hater who’d either give her hundred percent or won’t get her hands on it at all. There no middle way for me. Super impulsive by nature yet inquisitive wanting to analyse literally everything that i get my mind on. Can be both an emotional wreck and super wise at the same time.. guess we girls are just built that way. To be in our shoes can be quite a roller coaster ride haha. Education wise I’m Bsc hons in psychology from Australia, Latrobe and family backgrounds a little mind bending, so my fathers an ex naval captain turned into a businessman and politician whose always also been a landlord since we are rooted in the village. My work is my lifestyle
- Your success as an actress at such a young age is commendable. How did your journey begin in the entertainment industry?
It begin in my childhood only.. I was the sort who always liked to participate in school plays and play them acting games with her clan being a kid. Was always fond of actresses and their lifestyle. Did a few commercials as a child star which opened up the world of being a Vj for me. However, I did not stick to it as I still had my education to complete. And now after a break of years I’m back with a better and more skilled version of myself.
- Have you always aspired to be an actress? Or did you grow up with a different profession in mind?
I still remember being asked this questions a lot as a child “what will u become once u grow up” and my answer was always “an actress”. Glad to be living my dream today.
- Who do you look up to in the entertainment industry as a mentor or as a role model?
Ans 8: So far, id consider myself lucky to have found guidance from everyone that I’ve worked with but two names that I’d like to mention are of my favourite directors. Firstly, Mohsin Talat whose always believed in me even when I didn’t and have undoubtedly helped me improve my craft. Secondly, Ahmed Bhatti whose made me realize my potential and if it wasn’t for him I’d still be considering “knowing your lines” as acting.
- How do you juggle your work life and personal life? Do you ever feel you are missing out on any aspect of a regular lifestyle?
To be an actor you definitely have to make ALOT of comprises with your social and personal life as this work comes with a lot of unpredictability and demand of last minute commitments but with time I’ve learnt to find both, family and friends in my work only. I feel that as actors we are always building new and unique relationships on every set that we become a part of. Working together for such long hours under one roof really makes u all feel like a family but YES I do miss having a more predictable sleeping pattern haha.
- How is your daily routine like?
Eat, gym, work and repeat on the days I’m working otherwise you’ll either find me being a couch potato or hanging out with my friends and family on my off days
- We haven’t seen you on the ramp as yet. Would you be interested if given the chance?
I’d definitely love to take the opportunity as I like to try out new things and explore different avenues but I personally prefer acting over modeling as i feel it provides u with a better platform to satisfy your soul, to vent out, be creative and versatile.
- How do you prepare for your characters? Is there a certain philosophy that you always follow to get into the feel of a role?
For me to be able to feel the character and bring it to life it is very important to have read the whole script before starting a new project which helps me sketch down my craft, the look of the character and make a diary of my scenes and notes which I look back to every time before performing those scenes once on floor and YES one thing that really does work for me is living my character on the set. I make sure I step out of Yashma’s shoes completely for the hours I’m shooting.
- Outside working hours, what do you do in your leisure time?
Leisure for me is found at the gym haha
- Any funny incident/encounter with a fan?
A couple once ended up fighting as the guy really wanted to take a picture with me and his girl wasn’t quite fond of me but how they fought over it was both cute and funny.
- Is there anything that you do not like about Showbiz?
It can get diplomatic at times and how sometimes I feel that it doesn’t have a genuine opinion of its own. You’ll not always be appreciated for your true efforts and potential but sometimes also just because that’s how things have fallen in place with one comment or opinion going viral which becomes the opinion of the majority then.. “haan ma haan milan” and “chaltey suraj ko salam karna”
- With the film industry starting to thrive in Pakistan, is there any prospect of seeing you on the big screen?
As for me diving into the world of film, you’ll just have to stick around and find out!
- What can we expect from you in 2018? Any exciting projects lined up?
Really looking forward to Alif. A serial that’s being directed by the award winning haseen Hassan and has been penned down by Umera Ahmed.
Put anything in this
- Any message for your fans?
Whatever I am today is because of my fans only. Each one of you is an achievement for me and I owe all my success and my happiness to them. Thankyou for loving me more than I deserve and please keep me in your prayers like I have you all in mine.
- Nutella or Peanut Butter?
I’ll manage them both in the same spoon don’t worry
- Last person you got a text from?
My best friend or my AD lol
- Last book you read?
20 most common questions asked by non muslims by zakir naik
- All time celebrity crush?
Ian Somerhalder from vampire diaries
- Your favorite TV series?
- You spend more of your money on?
- Tea or Coffee?
Caffeine intolerant so non
- Acting for you is?
Feed for the soul
- Morning person or nocturnal?
Nocturnal for sure
- Your favorite city in Pakistan?
- Ideal breakfast menu?
Mama k hath ka khanaa!!
- One thing on your bucket list this year?
To sign an amazing film Inshaa Allah
One word for the following:
- Hamza Malik
- Zhalay Sarhidi
- Mansha Pasha
- Danish Taimoor
Amazing human being
- Aiman Khan
- Affan waheed